Sunday, August 15, 2010

Brazilian Lemonade, Raspberry Jam and link for Jam & Jelly Recipes

My husband took me to a restaurant in Orem that he loves called Tucano's.  While he was at the salad station the waiter came by to ask what we would like to drink.  Since Mark pretty much gave up soda a few months ago I ordered him a water and ordered myself a diet pepsi, but the waiter was persuasive and talked me into trying the Brazilian lemonade they are famous for.  We tried it and loved it!!  Even Mark who doesn't like many fruity drinks loved it.  He hasn't stopped talking about it so a few weeks ago I tried to find a recipe online for it, but had a very difficult time.  The reason is that it is called lemonade but is actually made with limes.  I finally found several recipes and tried one that was great.  We have made it several times, Mark even chose it over a chocolate milkshake tonight.  Remember, it is lemonade but is made with limes!!

Brazilian Lemonade
2 limes, washed thoroughly to remove any pesticides, cut off ends and cut into 8 pieces each
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups water
1 cup water
3 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk

In blender, combine live pieces and 1/2 cup sugar and 2 cups of water. Pulse 5 times (just five times, do not pulverize or it will be bitter), strain liquid in metal strainer add additional cup of water and sweetened condensed milk.  Serve over ice.  Makes 3 servings.  Do not try to make ahead of time as the essential oils from the limes will make it bitter. 


We are living in Farr West, which is near Willard Bay and Perry, Utah.  There are many fruit stands in Perry and Bear Lake Raspberries are at their peak.  I have grown my own raspberries with much success, but they were never as sweet as the Bear Lake Raspberries.  My husband and children love homemade raspberry jam and I got this recipe several years ago from my mother-in-law Fern.  It is so wonderfully sweet, and does not require pectin.  I have made it with fresh raspberries and on occasion have made it with frozen raspberries when I could not get fresh ones.

Raspberry Jam
1 quart raspberries, cleaned
1 quart sugar
3 tablespoons white vinegar

Combine raspberries and sugar, mash together.  Add white vinegar and boil for 25 minutes at rolling boil, stirring often.  While jam is cooking, prepare jars for processing.  Keep the jars warm either in hot water or dishwasher. Spoon off foam with slotted spoon, pour into hot clean jars, wipe off rims.  Top with new lid, process in water bath for 10 minutes.    Makes approximately 5 pints of raspberry jam.


My cousin Angie asked for a peach jam recipe.  I have only made peach jam once, and my family was not crazy about it.  I have always had success with the recipes that come with the boxes of pectin and usually make jam from it.  Many of my canning recipes come from the Ball website,  www.freshpreserving.com.  I have made the zesty peach bbq sauce from this website and it was good.  We had it on chicken and Melissa made a pasta dish with some of the leftover sauce. 

I hope the recipes are helpful.  I will post our zucchini bread recipe this week, as I am sure everyone is overrun with zucchini at this time of year.  Hope you all have a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment